Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group - Insecure Artist

Well it's the first Wednesday of the month, time to open up my fragile psyche and expose my insecurities.  I write but I also paint so I'm insecure in all kinds of mediums.  As many of you know, I recently started work at an art store.  My boss is a painter herself (much more talented than I).  The store is filled with paintings of people, landscapes, fruit and flowers, all created in a beautifully naturalistic style.  She works in oil, acrylic, and water colour with equal skill.  Working there made me want to paint again.

To say that my style is different would be an understatement. I have ideas that must be put on paper, but even after four years of university art courses my work never achieved the realism evident in boss lady's work.  Both the girl and the wolf in the above painting were traced from a photograph.  Emphasis on ideas over style. It's like my writing in that way.  Whatever else my work might be, it isn't flowery.

So I assume that if my boss saw one of my paintings she would hate it.  My writing too, probably.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your win. You write well. Pickled tongue? Sounds gross, but then I'm from the South and I love things most people wouldn't think of eating. It all depends on where you are from and what you grow up eating. Just stopping by to say "hi."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...