About halfway throught the 6-hour drive, Chris called to tell us the Stag & Doe had been cancelled. The Maid of Honour/sister of the Bride had gone into labour 27 weeks pregnant and Lisa had gone to Toronto to be with her. We found out later that the baby, Liam, was born 2 lbs 10 ounces with lungs strong enough to cry (I'm no expert, but I think this means he's going to be okay. The really horrid complications from premature birth are usually from lack of oxygen due to under-developed lungs.)
Anyway, while I missed the opportunity to dance with my hubby, we got a lot more hanging out with Chris time than we would have had the Stag & Doe gone on. The cancelled event would have included lots of people we don't know, and I would have spent the evening convincing Adam to get on the dance floor, while explaining to random strangers that we really are good friends with Chris and Lisa even though we have lived in different cities for years and years.
Instead, we played boardgames at Chris's apartment, went out to dinner, then saw the most horrible movie imaginable: Clash of the Titans. We were expecting a plotless action flick with over-the-top special effects but what we got was a really really plotless action flick with worse writing than is usual for the genre, under-whelming special effects, and bad 3D.
If I can be allowed a brief digression, some ideas for improvement (warning spoilers):
- Have someone who knows how to write go over the script, and remember show don't tell. For example, the talk Perseus has with his father about how he really does love him even though he's adopted, could have been said with a look and a hug. His father's speech about being angry with the Gods was just embarrassing.
- Actually film the movie in 3D, instead of doing a bad convert of a 2D flick.
- Make Olympus look more awesome and heavenly, instead of an over-exposed version of the counsel of the Jedi.
- Eliminate the character of Perseus's mother's husband. The back story is okay, but why have him come back for revenge? Can't Hades summon giant scorpions by himself?
- Only once should we be told that Zeus feeds on love but Hades feeds on hate. After that, we get it.
- The whole plot with princess Andromeda should be either scrapped or built up so that we actually care about her being sacrificed to the giant octopus thing. Seems like a no-brainer to me that we should feed her to the Crachen to save the city, what took them so long? Instead we killed off five guys and a tree-monster trying to get Medusa's head. That's just not good economics.
- The two hunters that join the team but don't actually do anything after that (beyond ride a scorpion) should be part of a subplot with Andromeda and we can have fun getting to know them. In fact, all the characters should be developed better.
- Perseus should die at the end. The fates said he would, so he should. He's a demi-God, so he can come back to life if they really want.
- Longer fight scene with Hades at the end. The guy is a GOD people! Just because Perseus killed his pet monster doesn't mean he should suddenly be able to go down with one quick jab to the gut. Even I could have lasted longer against Perseus (who is about as Godly as my pinky toe BTW).
After the museum we drove home to Burlington. Not only did our children not miss us, but William has been asking all day when we are going back to Omi's house. My parents took the kids to the Science Centre and to High Park and they may have had more fun than we did. They definitely did less driving.
Conclusion: MORE WEEKENDS AWAY!!!