Thursday, November 11, 2004

Birthday/Rememberance Day Celebration

Yesterday was my birthday and I have a few things to report but first a word about Rememberance Day.

I keep seeing this commercial on television with this army guy wearing medals out to his armpit. He says that we should remember that soldiers in all those wars (WWI, WWII, etc) all fought and gave their lives and their youth so that we can have the freedoms we take for granted. In my opinion, this is a load of BS. Oh, I agree that we should remember what the veterans sacrificed. Whole families were destroyed; teenage boys died horrible deaths. But the reason that we should remember, and one of the reasons why war is so hard to take, is that the sacrifice was for no reason. No good can come of war. If we forget that, then the good ol' boys really did die for nothing.


On a lighter note
The Birthday Report

In the morning I went to Toronto with my Mommy. We went to the Eaton Centre and I bought all kinds of fab clothes that I can wear to a cushy office job (or an interview to get a cushy office job). Two red button-down shirts, two red bras, two skirts (one black and one red), and a black blazer. My mom had a CANSCAIP meeting in to go to afterwards and I had copyediting class (but I didn't go, are you crazy?).

I left my Mommy in Toronto and took the train home. Then Adam gave me his present to open. He got me a Wonder Woman Barbie Doll, a Strong Bad T-shirt, and the movie Aladdin on Disney DVD. I'm saving the wrapping because he drew cool pictures on it.

Then it was time to have birthday dinner. Normally speaking we'd have dinner at my house and my mom would make a delicious chocolate cake that leans slightly to one side, but since Mom had CANSCAIP we are doing that tonight. Anyway, the plan was to meet Amy at Café Tu Tu Tango, the artsy fartsy place I've been meaning to try in Mississauga. Unfortunately that restaurant is closed forever. So we went to Red Lobster instead. I opened Amy's prezzie while we waited for food. She got me a cool Princess Leia action figure, wearing her Jabba the Hut sexslave outfit; and a Knights of the Zodiac girl (don't ask, I have no idea). She wrapped it all nice with a Milar balloon. That's right folks, presentation is important (although I find it quite charming that my grandmother often attacks her parcels with electrical tape and that my sister has been known to wrap a present in a towel).

We all ordered the all you can eat shrimp. It turns out that all I can eat is not a whole lot. By the time my second order of shrimp, shrimp pasta, came I took one bite and was full. This might have something to do witht he fact that me and Amy ordered the Lobsterita. We thought it would be a regular-sized strawberry Marguarita but instead it was as big as our heads (no worries I wasn't driving). The thing came with some cheesey (and therefore cool) lobster beads which Wonder Woman Barbie is currently wearing. When we were done I got a free birthday dessert, a rasberry cobler which, though yummy, I could not eat. Adam ate it (he wasn't filled up with giant drink).

After dinner we said bye to Amy and me and Adam went to his house for more presents. Adam's mom gave me a sweater and a pretty red coat, Adam's sister gave me some roses, and Adam's Dad gave me a piece of the apple he was eating (just kidding, that wasn't actually a present). After that we went to my house and watched my new Aladdin DVD. Later, when I find the remote, I'll watch the special features. When I went to bed that night there were birthday cards on my bed from my nephew. Very cute.

So that was my birthday. Today is my birthday part 2. I'll get the presents from the rest of my family and we can Remember that chocolate cake is WAY better than war by eating my mom's famous leaning birthday cake.

2 comments:

zydeco fish said...

Wow, that's a lot of presents. I don't even get that many at Christmas.

Super Happy Jen said...

I tend to get more on my birthday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...