Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Caught in the Rain

Today I had an appointment at yet another employment agency, the purpose of which is to find any old office job as quickly as possible and get myself some mat leave. Today's agency is about a 20 minute walk from my apartment so I didn't have to borrow a car or use up bus moneys.

As is routine when going to any kind of job-getting meeting, I dressed in my finest interview duds. My fave interview pants are these grey pin stripe babies that make me look like an office panthress on the prowl. I looked hot (in a good way) but I was a little afraid that I would be hot (in a bad way) from the burning July sun.

On the way there I was feeling a bit toasty and had to stop on the way for a bottle of iced tea, but there was a bit of a breeze which increased my comfort level and preserved my panthress hotness.

The agency gals were impressed by my test scores (which I assume the grey pin-stripes had a lot to do with) and after only 2 short hours of mindless testing I was totally ready to take on the world (and the heat) once again.

The thing about Canadian weather is that one can never assume anything as the sky radically changes personality every hour (or sometimes every few minutes).

When I got outside that nice breeze had turned into a monstrous wind that made every tree along the road look like it was having a temper tantrum. Great clouds of dust were blowing off the road construction onto the sidewalk. In the distance, fork lightening lit up the sky. For the love of Spock, thought I, please don't let it start raining until I get home!

Unfortunately the Star Trek gods were unresponsive, and in about five minutes the skies opened up and poured liter after liter of water on my poor little head. By the time I got home, the panthress had become a drowned kitten.

Oh well, at least it didn't happen on the way there, or my test scores wouldn't have been quite so phenomenal. And don't worry, I changed into dry clothes right away so I won't catch a disease that causes me to give birth to a deaf dumb flipper baby.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...