Friday, March 09, 2007

Sputnik McNicoll 199?-2007



My family got Sputnik from the pound when I was in high school, around 12 years ago. I remember trying to play with her at the animal shelter's little visiting area, but at the time she was more interested in the cats and rodentia she smelled in the next room. We gave her little bits of hotdog to coax her into loving us.

As soon as we brought her home she took her rightful place as queen of the household. She scratched herself a place on the sofa and, with an unexpectedly deep and powerful bark for a dog her size, protected our family from mailmen, dogs, squirrels, cats, cars, and kids selling chocolate-covered almonds for charity.

Sputnik loved going for walks, especially ones she took herself when someone accidentally left the door open, or when she found a new hole in the fence. She refused to eat dogfood unless it had human food on top. Her favourite foods were cheese, steak bones, pigs ears, pizza crusts and used maxi pads.

For the last little while, Sputnik had a lot of trouble getting around. One of her hind legs stopped working and she was having trouble breathing. She also has a lump on her breast that grew and grew. She spent a great deal of time licking and chewing at the lump until it bled.

Yesterday my mom and dad took her for one last walk at the park. At first she would only be carried in my mom's arms, but did walk a bit near the end. My mom gave her half a Tim Horton's chocolate doughnut. We all know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but in this case it didn't matter. And she loved it. Then it was off to the vet to say goodbye.

Sputnik was a member of our family and she will be missed.

4 comments:

Newfiechick said...

Jen I am sorry for your loss.

Carol said...

Jen, I am so sorry... I love the simplicity of your tribute - I don't know a single animal lover that won't be touched by it. I shed a few tears reading the last couple of sentences...

RIP Sputnik (enjoy the cheese!)

nec Timide said...

My sympathies to you and your parents. It is sad to loose such a long time, unconditional friend.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but so happy for you that you had such a wonderful pet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...