Sunday, May 04, 2008

Eireann's Going to Be my Sister!

Eireann and I became instant friends when we met in University. Both of us were plagued by society's attitude that one cannot be smart and have a sense of humour, but unwilling to become as seriously boring as everyone else. United by our mutual philosophies, and art history majors, people instantly began asking us silly questions like "How long have you guys known each other?" (like a week after we met) and "Are you guys sisters?" (no). Teachers would mix us up (even though we don't look even remotely alike beyond sharing the most common hair colour on the planet).

I'd always secretly thought that Eireann would be perfect for my brother, Craig, who also has a sense of humour, but is also sweet and gentle and respectful of women (he's the middle child sandwiched between two sisters). Unfortunately, at the time Eireann was madly in crush with her tattoo artist, Thor.

Lucky for Eireann, my brother is totally cool, and so I often invited him along to parties and other such get-togethers with friends. One New Years (not last year, not year before, but the year before that I think.) my friends told me that Eireann and Craig were "totally flirting" when I wasn't in the room. This led to conspiracy among the group, and I rarely had a conversation with one of my other friends without them asking "So, are Eireann and Craig dating yet?" My friends had to wait a whole year after that for them to be an official "item".

Now Eireann and Craig are buying our condo together. And last night Eireann and Craig announced that they are officially engaged!!!!!!!!! (extra explanation points needed)!!!!! Craig asked Eireann on top of the ferris wheel at Niagara Falls.

Eireann says she hates long engagements and wants to get married this summer or this fall, which seems like a bit rushed for a couple who took like five years just to start dating. This would also mean I'd be sporting a baby bump for the wedding (not that it's about me or anything).

So, the next time someone asks if Eireann and I are sisters the answer will be: YES!

2 comments:

Adam Filipowicz said...

busy week..

zydeco fish said...

Wow, what an interesting story. It makes me think that there is such a thing as destiny, or, maybe not. It's late and I'm tired.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...