Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Gynoids

I just found out something interesting. Well, interesting to me because I've always been fascinated by androids. Star Trek (and the dictionary) tells us that an android is a machine or automaton in the form of a human being. However, the word android literally mean resembling (oid) a man (andr). Therefore, there can be no such thing as a female android. A female android would be called a gynoid.

Examples of Gynoids (off the top of my head):

Lal (Data's daughter)
Fembots (Austin Powers)
TX (Terminator 3)
The robot from Metropolis
Various female mecca in AI
Various female androids (I mean gynoids) in TOS
V.I.K.I. (I, robot)
A librarian in the Simpsons episode set in the future.

If I think of anymore I'll add them to the list.
BTW: The gmail offer is still open. Comment on the previous message.

4 comments:

zydeco fish said...

Wow. That is truly essential information. I can't believe I got this far along in life without being aware of that. By the way, this is a super happy blog.

Adam Filipowicz said...

how bout that girl-droid in centenial man..

Becca said...

Would Rosie from Jetsons be a gynoid? Or is she still in that "Robot" phase?

Super Happy Jen said...

Well she's made to resemble a woman so I guess she's a gynoid. The gynoid body I'll eventually transfer my brain into will hopefully be a lot sexier and more human-looking than Rosie though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...