Sunday, September 25, 2011

An imago is an idealized concept of a loved one…or a winged insect

My dog chases them all the time. Isn’t it strange that I can write a whole novel and yet there are some words that I have never used in a sentence? In fact, some words are so foreign to my way of speaking that they would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb if I ever used them. I yawn, but never oscitate.  So this week’s campaign challenge has left me feeling less than poetic. I could write about a miasma of steam rising up to obscure my reflection in the mirror, but I haven’t had time today to take a shower.  Could there be a lacuna in my vocabulary? I don’t even know if I’m using that word correctly.  I’m reminded of a scene in the movie “Clueless” when a guy tells the late great Britney Murphy “Be seeing you” and she answers “I hope not sporadically,” having just learned the word. The fact that I’m quoting “Clueless” should give you an idea of my mindset.  The challenge is to write a 200-word blog post using several assigned words.  One of them is synchronicity.  I bet you can guess what the others are. Vote here for #101 (That’s me).

25 comments:

F.E. Sewell said...

"“Be seeing you” and she answers “I hope not sporadically,”"

Hah! I love this movie so much. That quote is so relevant to this challenge. Well done!

elizabethanne said...

Well done! I like the way you did this.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I rather liked miasma and synchronicity and hope to use them sporadically, in a word-of-the day kinda' way! Nice reference!

Mine is number 106: http://thewarriormuse.blogspot.com/2011/09/platform-building-campaign-2nd.html

Fairview said...

Nice. I was just reading something online about Brittany Murphy.

Stobby said...

Very clever. I wish I had written it. Do you wanna write one for me? ;)

Stobby

Super Happy Jen said...

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I wanted to use the words while still keeping with the tone of the rest of the blog.

Lily Whalen said...

Very clever indeed, Jen! What a great way to address the challenge; I wish I'd thought of it! It was tricky to come up with a plotline that would use all four (or five, if you count 'mirror') words. I am voting for yours. Mine is number 111

K.T. Hanna said...

I loved that movie! And really like this approach to the challenge. I agree - since doing this challenge, I think synchronicity has crept into my WIP at least once... lol

Doreen McGettigan said...

I love that movie too! I love how honest you were...I was sort of embarrassed that I had no clue what those words were..lol

Super Happy Jen said...

Doreen, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I had to look them all up!

Anonymous said...

I really liked that you wrote down exactly what probably all of us is feeling about the challenge! :) Well done!
- andrea

Sheri L. Swift, Author said...

Lol! Yes, those were daunting words! ; )

bridget said...

I really enjoyed this. I looked at those words and admittedly thought you have got to be kidding! Mine is #29

Sonia Lal said...

You know, I am starting to wonder now in idealized concept of a loved one == winged insect.

Really like your take on this! I had a similar reaction.

Jen said...

I love your approach to this! They were some scary words, weren't they? Lacuna -- really???

Mine is #3.

Tara Tyler said...

clever!
loved clueless!

David P. King said...

That was awesome, Jen! The creativeness of this challenge continues to amaze me. :)

Super Happy Jen said...

For some reason I'm 101 now. Odd.

Author A.O. Peart said...

Awesome, cleverly written and super witty! Great job :-)

I'm # 157

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Your post made me smile!

The Write Soil

Mine is #50.

Anonymous said...

LOL, love it. Great take on the challenge!

Christine Rains said...

Ha! Nice take on the challenge. I laughed. Bravo!

Super Happy Jen said...

22 comments and only 12 likes? Come on! I want to win some swag! :)

Karen deBlieck said...

lol. I enjoyed your challenge piece. Way to be honest and creative at the same time. :)

#189

Cherie Colyer said...

I really enjoyed this. Nice job :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...