Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Just when I was thinking of being productive

My power went off at 4 today.  Being a computer/tv family with at least one dark-phobic child, we have no idea what to do with ourselves without electricity.  With the playroom transformed into an ominous cavern, William abandonned his lego.  I found him a flashlight so he could use our windowless bathroom.

Jadzia snatched up the half-charged ipod and demanded that it play Elmo games (she settled for Plants vs Zombies).  Soon William tried to "help" his two-and-a-half year-old sister thwart a zombie invasion, and I stepped in to referee.

"Let's go for a drive and see who else's power is out," I suggested.
The offspring begrudgingly agreed and we set off.  The outage didn't appear to extend far beyond our street.  The traffic lights Northwest of our house were dark (treat it as a four way stop, please people), but the ones Southwest of us were fully operational.

We ended up at the grocery store.  Not knowing how long the power would be out I bought things that needed neither chilling nor cooking, namely peaches, pears, raspberries, and sushi.  Also diapers.

William fiddled with the door latch as I was putting Jadzia in the carseat to go home.  The car door stubbornly refused to close. I called my husband, who luckily was on the way home from work.  He met us in the parking lot and used his man powers to fix the latch in 30 seconds (yes, I'm a strong independent woman, but my womanly powers didn't work for some reason). 

We arrived home to find the power still out.  Then, just as we were getting excited at the prospect of going out for dinner, the house hummed to life.  I made salmon with corn and fried rice.  Yum.

2 comments:

Adam Filipowicz said...

Dinner was Yummy.. but it was all you can eat Ribs at Montanas!

Sylvia McNicoll said...

Odd, only our phone and internet went out for about that time

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...