Thursday, September 01, 2011

Indulge me in a bit of a ramble

I signed up with this blog campaign, so I can network and meet other writers. At first I was afraid that I'd signed up too close to the deadline to be included.  Now I'm worried that my blog might not be good enough to be included.  As you've probably noticed, I haven't been blogging much of late and when I do I don't really say much of substance. I tell myself that this is because I'm tired dealing with the offspring, but really I've fallen in the trap of nihilistic self doubt. I have a little hater in my head that tells my that nobody cares what I have to say and typing anything is not worth the effort.

I feel the same way when writing my science fiction. Every time I sit down with my laptop, the little hater tells my that I'm wasting my time and no one will ever publish it. Even if my writing were as good as my friends claim it is (and let's face it, it probably isn't), brilliant writers are a dime a dozen. You need to have something more than a good idea and wicked wordsmith skills. I've been reading Daniel H. Wilson's Robopocolypse, a totally believable and positively riveting account of machines attempting, rather successfully, to annihilate the human race. Even if my robot book were as well-polished as Daniel's robot book (it's not), I would still be less likely to get published.  Dan has a PhD is robotics, and I am an unemployed Star Trek nerd with two small children. You can almost hear Dan's credentials singing sweetly in his agent's ear, while I can quite clearly picture any agent I've pitched to rolling her eyes and yawning.

This gives me the idea that I should write something to do with art history, since that is what my degree is in.  Aliens could take over the Sistene Chapel or something.  Except that even though I loved my time in University (it was like grown-up kindergarten), the art history component was a necessary evil that bored me immensely. Even aliens couldn't spice it up.

And another thing. I put myself in the Science Fiction category of this blog campaign even though this blog has never been about science fiction. I feel the sudden need to add SF content to this volume of mildly amusing annecdotes about motherhood, but I'm have nothing to say on the subject (beyond what I'm writing in my books) and I'm not sure it would fit.

In the interest of adding SF content and introducing myself to a larger blogging and writing community, this is what my unpublished and depressingly untitled books are about (one sentence each, always a fun exercise):

My first book (which is finished, in that I have typed THE END) tells the story of a redheaded mechanic named Emily who rediscovers lost memories when she gets kidnapped by wardroid sexbots and taken to a post apocolyptic Earth, while her lovesick and slightly crude Commander (who also happens to be the clone of a robotics scientist) charges off to rescue her.

My second book (which I'm writing right now) follows a trisexual alien family (two husbands, one wife) as they deal with life in a matriarchal society with rigid gender roles, and (eventually) the birth of a human hybrid child.

If anyone out there wants to give me an unbiased account of how much my book sucks e-mail me and I'll send you as many pages as you can tolerate.  If you want to suggest a title based on what little information I've given here, leave a comment below.

13 comments:

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

First, line up the hater inside your head, so I can shoot her with my phaser: zzzzip.

Now that that's out of the way, don't worry about any of the things you're worrying about. In fact, the fact that you're worrying means that you are on to something. Go watch this. Really, I'll wait...now, THAT IS YOU. Don't quit. Don't even spend time thinking about the possibility of quitting. Spend that time finding the thing that turns you on at least as much as (possibly more) than an awesome sexbot.

That's where you're supposed to be. :)

Super Happy Jen said...

Thanks Susan. Hopefully your phaser was set to kill.

Carole St-Laurent said...

Jen,

I sooo know that little hater we have inside. But there's hope. I recommend a good dose of Margie Lawson's Defeat Your Self-Defeating Behaviors next January. Not done once a week with other writers, but with Margie, in her class. Reserve January, clear it, push away all other tasks and you will feel better and in control.

bridgetstraub.com said...

Why are so many writers riddled with self doubt? I am a fellow campaigner and you are not the first I have come across with so much concern. Writing should be fun. Clearly you can string words together so just enjoy yourself. Life is too short to allow the Hater to take over!

TirzahLaughs said...

Oh the hater in my head. His name is Ribbon. I threaten to strangle him with one monthly.

:)

Hi from a Fellow Campaigner.

T

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen: thanks for stopping by my blog. You are IN the contest for a copy of the book!

Keep writing! I love both the story ideas you described. Even the Sistine Chapel bit. I have a friend who wrote a book about aliens disguising themselves as bolts of fabric and taking over a fabric store.

Seriously. It's for sale over on Smashwords. So you never know...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a fellow Campaigner. You don't have a Google Friends Connect widget, or I would follow you...

Jessica Peter said...

A hater inside your head? That doesn't sound Super Happy! But . . . that's the life of a writer I suppose (phew!).

And in case you've forgotten, I'm a fellow (Canadian) campaigner! From Hamilton, Ontario here.

Super Happy Jen said...

@Alex Really? I need more junk in my sidebars? You can't just copy and paste my URL into google reader?

Sher A. Hart said...

Hey from Florida humor campaigner @sherahart. Yes, you need more junk in your sidebar. We want to see who else follows you and click on their links. Can't do that without the follower widget. As for the self-doubt time bomb, give it a lick every time it rears up in front of your super happy face. If its takes a licking and keeps on ticking, well, then, pretend it's a lolli-pop, much less explosive. One good licking deserves another, and keep licking until it's gone. Then eat some chocolate. That's what I do when I feel doubt creeping up behind me. My blog has a chocolate contest. Good odds of winning, so far only 5 entries. http://sherahart.blogspot.com

Super Happy Jen said...

I have bowed to social pressure and created a follower widget. Everybody happy now?

F.E. Sewell said...

I'm happy now. Super happy 16th follower here!

We're in the same beginner blogger campaign group, btw. Enjoyed reading your blog. I'll be coming back for more.

Kimberly said...

I totally get what you are saying. I love to read blogs...but then I start to compare my blog/ me to the ones I like. Then I feel unworthy of even having a blog...much less worthy to ask others to read it. I think this is what all writers must feel. I have to be careful to read blogs that appeal to me and NOT think of them when I'm writing my own blog. Good luck in the campaign.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...